For this homework, you will read four selections and compose an essay.
- Please read the following selections. The first three can be accessed via the links in the Lesson 5 Module. The Laughlin selection can be accessed via the Library Resources.
- Wald, Matthew. "On the Horizon, Planes Powered by Plant Fuel." New York Times 17 Jan. 2012.
- "Obama’s Pitch on Energy." New York Times 14 Feb. 2012, The Opinion Pages sec.
- Taylor, James. "Trump's Energy Policy: 10 Big Changes", Opinion Contributor, Forbes 26 December 2016.
- Laughlin, Robert B. Powering the Future: How We Will (Eventually) Solve the Energy Crisis and Fuel the Civilization of Tomorrow. New York: Basic, 2011. Print. (Chapter 3)
- Write a summary of each article, addressing these three questions:
- Question #1: What is the perspective of the article?
- Question #2: Do you agree/disagree with it?
- Question #3: Explain why.
Some notes on the format:
- Approximate length – 1-1½ pages total (a paragraph for each article), double-spaced, 1” margins, 12-point font, name at the top.
- The essay should incorporate answers to all 3 questions for each article.
- Use footnotes to indicate which reading you are referring to (i.e., Wald, pg #).
- Use as filename your user ID_HW5 (i.e., ceb7_HW5).
- Upload it to the Homework #5 Assignment in Lesson 5.
Post a response in Discussion #5 that includes discussion of the following questions:
- Do you think that jet fuel generated from biomass will make an impact on the jet fuel market?
- What do you think about the proposed energy policy and suggestions about impacting the Big Oil companies?
- What are the “jungle laws” that appear to be governing our energy policy currently?
Take some time to review others' responses. Then respond to at least one other person’s post. Grades will reflect critical thinking in your input and responses.
This week you will complete Exam #2.