Soil/Crop Management, Pests, and Climate Change
At this stage, you should have collected quite a bit of data related to the physical environment of your region (water, soils, and climate) as well as related to the regional food system, including the history of the regional food system and which crops are grown in your region. You may also have discovered some impacts that the regional food system is having on soil and water resources in the region.
Capstone Stage 3
- Click for a text description of the Capstone Stage 3 diagram.
Capstone Stage 3 (Soil/crop management, pests and climate change)
System stressors and management strategies
- describe soil conservation practices
- describe pest management strategies
- discuss agrobiodiversity of region
- discuss future climate scenarios
What to do for Stage 3?
- Download and complete the CapstoneProject_Stage3.docx worksheet that contains a table summarizing the data you’ll need to collect to complete this stage. Remember, you need to think deeply about each response and write responses that reflect the depth of your thought as informed by your research.
- Add questions and continue to research the questions in your worksheet files.
- Keep track of all of the resources and references you use.
- Add relevant data, maps, and figures to your PowerPoint file.
- Revise your CHNS diagram and/or create a new one incorporating topics from Modules 7, 8 and 9.
- Individual Assessment:
- Write a one-page summary based on the data and information you’ve collected so far explaining what you think will be the major issues to address and focus on in your capstone presentation. To write this summary, you’ll need to look back on your worksheets from Stages 1, 2 and 3 and the PowerPoint you’ve been working on. In your summary, you need to synthesize the information you’ve collected so far and to identify the topics you think your group will want to focus on during your presentation.
- Use citations to reference the sources of material you use in your summary. Your list of references is not counted in the one-page requirement. The reference list may span to a second page.
- Please note in your summary if there are any major questions that you haven’t been able to answer about your region’s food systems.
- Submit your summary via the Capstone Stage 3 Assignment in Canvas.
Rubric for Stage 3 Individual Assessment
|Summary submitted by deadline, one-page in length with reasonable margins and font size.||5|
|Summary is organized logically and arguments are presented clearly.||5|
|Important regional issues and topics related to climate, water resources, soil resources, nutrients, crop types, and other topics to be covered in the final presentation are identified and explained clearly and succinctly||10|
|References are cited properly and demonstrate that appropriate research has been accomplished.||5|
|Summary is written with correct grammar and spelling.||5|
|Total Possible Points||30|