After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Draw and explain the energy diagram for a biased bipolar junction transistor (BJT).
- Describe the differences between NPN and PNP BJTs.
- Explain forward-reverse bias operation.
- Define the transistor parameters alpha and beta, and determine them from device curves and/or circuit currents.
- Draw and explain the various regions of a BJT collector curve, along with Early voltage.
- Describe and utilize the Ebers-Moll BJT model.
- Describe the concept of the DC load line.
- Solve and design basic switching and driver circuits utilizing BJTs.