After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the differences between positive and negative feedback.
- Define the Barkhausen criterion, and relate it to individual circuits.
- Detail the need for level-detecting circuitry in a practical oscillator.
- Analyze the operation of Wien bridge and phase shift op amp oscillators.
- Analyze the operation of comparator-based op amp oscillators.
- Detail which factors contribute to the accuracy of a given oscillator.
- Explain the operation of a VCO.
- Explain the operation of a PLL, and define the terms capture range and lock range.
- Explain the operation of basic timers and waveform generators.