After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the four main types of filters.
- Detail the advantages and disadvantages of active versus passive filters.
- Describe the importance of filter order on the shape of a filter's response.
- Describe the importance of filter alignment on the shape of a filter's response.
- Compare the general gain and phase response characteristics of the popular filter alignments.
- Analyze high- and low-pass Sallen and Key filters.
- Analyze both low and high Q band-pass filters.
- Analyze state-variable filters.
- Analyze notch filters.
- Analyze cascaded filters of high order.
- Detail the operation of basic bass and treble audio equalizers.
- Explain the operation of switched capacitor filters, and list their relative advantages and disadvantages compared to ordinary op amp filters.