- Page ID
The networking revolution has completely changed how the computer is used. Today, no one would imagine using a computer that was not connected to one or more networks. The development of the Internet and World Wide Web, combined with wireless access, has made information available at our fingertips. The Web 2.0 revolution has made us all authors of web content. As networking technology has matured, the use of Internet technologies has become a standard for every type of organization. The use of intranets and extranets has allowed organizations to deploy functionality to employees and business partners alike, increasing efficiencies and improving communications. Cloud computing has truly made information available everywhere and has serious implications for the role of the IT department.
- What were the first four locations hooked up to the Internet (ARPANET)?
- What does the term packet mean?
- Which came first, the Internet or the World Wide Web?
- What was revolutionary about Web 2.0?
- What was the so-called killer app for the Internet?
- What makes a connection a broadband connection?
- What does the term VoIP mean?
- What is an LAN?
- What is the difference between an intranet and an extranet?
- What is Metcalfe’s Law?
- What is the IP address of your computer? How did you find out? What is the IP address of google.com? How did you find out? Did you get IPv4 or IPv6 addresses?
- What is the difference between the Internet and the World Wide Web? Create at least three statements that identify the differences between the two.
- Who are the broadband providers in your area? What are the prices and speeds offered?
- Pretend you are planning a trip to three foreign countries in the next month. Consult your wireless carrier to determine if your mobile phone would work properly in those countries. What would the costs be? What alternatives do you have if it would not work?
- "UN sets goal of bringing broadband to half developing world’s people by 2015.", UN News Center website, http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...1#.Ut7JOmTTk1J↵