Skip to main content
9.G: Dictionaries (Glossary)
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- A mapping from a set of keys to their corresponding values.
- The algorithm used to implement Python dictionaries.
- hash function
- A function used by a hashtable to compute the location for a key.
- A set of counters.
- A way of performing a computation.
- Another name for a key-value pair.
- An object that appears in a dictionary as the first part of a key-value pair.
- key-value pair
- The representation of the mapping from a key to a value.
- A dictionary operation that takes a key and finds the corresponding value.
- nested loops
- When there are one or more loops "inside" of another loop. The inner loop runs to completion each time the outer loop runs once.
- An object that appears in a dictionary as the second part of a key-value pair. This is more specific than our previous use of the word "value".