Strategies for Sustainability and Final Presentation
You’ve now completed the content modules for the Future of Food course. In this final stage of the capstone project, you’ll put together your final group presentation which will present your assessment of the current status of your assigned regional food system, projections for future scenarios of increased human population growth and increased temperatures in your region, and your proposed strategies to enhance the resilience and sustainability of your region’s food systems.
Stage 4 is broken down into two parts. Stage 4a is the last piece of data gathering and research that you need to do. Stage 4b is the preparation of your final presentation, which will summarize the data and information you’ve gathered in stages 1, 2, 3, and 4a.
Capstone Stage 4
- Click for a text description of the Capstone Stage 4 Diagram.
Capstone Stage 4 (food system and sustainability)
- describe regional food systems
- assess using the life-cycle concepts
- discuss agrobiodiversity using RACV
- discuss food insecurity/security
- research population growth projections
- propose strategies for sustainability
What to do for Stage 4a?
- Download and complete the CapstoneProject_Stage4a.docx worksheet that contains a table summarizing the data you need to collect to complete this stage. Remember, you need to think deeply about each response and write responses that reflect the depth of your thought as informed by your research.
- Add questions and continue to research the questions in your word file.
- Keep track of all of the resources and references you use.
- Add relevant data, maps, and figures to your PowerPoint file
Capstone Stage 4b diagram
- Click for a text description of the Capstone Stage 4b diagram.
Capstone Stage 4b (final presentation)
- assess current status
- discuss future scenarios
- assess resilience and vulnerabilities to future scenarios
- propose strategies for sustainability and resilience
Stage 4b – Final Presentation
Your final presentation should address the following topics associated with your assigned region:
- Assessment of current status of regional food system
- a. include climate, water, soils, nutrients, crops, agricultural practices, existing food systems
- Discussion of future scenarios
- a. what are projections for regional human population growth?
- b. what are projections for temperature increases in your assigned region?
- The resilience of the current system to future projections
- a. given the current status of the region’s food system, how resilient will the system be in the face of the projects changes in human population and temperature?
- Strategies for sustainability and resilience
- a. propose strategies for increasing the sustainability and resilience of your assigned region’s food systems in the face of the projected human population growth and increased temperatures.