In this chapter you have seen how to create categories, classes and methods. You have see how to use the system browser, the inspector, the debugger and the Monticello browser.
- Categories are groups of related classes.
- A new class is created by sending a message to its superclass.
- Protocols are groups of related methods.
- A new method is created or modified by editing its definition in the browser and then accepting the changes.
- The inspector offers a simple, general-purpose GUI for inspecting and interacting with arbitrary objects.
- The system browser detects usage of undeclared methods and variables, and offers possible corrections.
initializemethod is automatically executed after an object is created in Squeak. You can put any initialization code there.
- The debugger provides a high-level GUI to inspect and modify the state of a running program.
- You can share source code filing out a category.
- A better way to share code is to use Monticello to manage an external repository, for example defined as a SqueakSource project.