After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe and diagram the energy hill for a PN junction.
- Discuss the different kinds of diodes available and their uses: rectifier, Zener, LED, photodiode and varactor.
- Detail the device characteristics exhibited by different diode types.
- Graph the forward- and reverse-bias operation regions of diodes.
- Determine the effective resistance of a diode under specific conditions.
- Solve basic DC resistor-diode circuits for various system voltages and currents.