After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the need and usefulness of voltage regulators.
- Detail the difference between load and line regulation.
- Detail the need for a stable reference voltage.
- Describe the operation of a basic linear regulator.
- Describe the operation of a basic switching regulator.
- Outline the differences between linear and switching regulators, giving the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Detail the function of a pass transistor in both linear and switching regulators.
- Utilize many of the popular linear IC regulators, such as the 78XX and 723.
- Analyze system heat sink requirements.