On completion of this TLP you should:
- Know the basic characteristics of liquid crystals, as well as the types of molecules capable of forming them.
- Be aware of the different degrees of order that can be present in a liquid crystal.
- Understand the various optical properties of liquid crystals, and how they are affected by factors such as molecular shape and defects within a sample.
- Be aware of some of the technological applications of these materials.
Familiarity with the Optical Microscopy TLP as well as the concept of refractive indices is recommended.
- 3.3: Order and Disorder - Molecular Position
- While liquid crystals have high orientational order, their positional order is very low. However certain positional arrangements are possible. In general, calamitic liquid crystals can be divided into three different mesophases: