After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the concept of pulse code modulation.
- Detail the advantages and disadvantages of signal processing in the digital domain.
- Define the terms resolution, quantization, and Nyquist frequency.
- Define an alias, and detail how it is produced and subsequently avoided.
- Explain the operation of an \(R/2R\) digital-to-analog converter.
- Explain the need for anti-alias and reconstruction filters.
- Explain the operation of a successive approximation analog-to-digital converter.
- Detail the need for and operation of a track-and-hold amplifier.
- Explain the operation of a flash analog-to-digital converter.
- Compare the different analog-to-digital converters in terms of speed, size and complexity, and detail typical applications for each.