This TLP has covered the following topics:
- The mathematical description of the atomic structure of a crystal.
- The different lattice types.
- What a lattice vector, unit cell & motif are and how they are relevant to describing crystals.
- Close packing and the packing efficiency of a crystal structure.
- What symmetry operators are present within a crystallographic lattice and how only specific combinations of such symmetry elements may exist.
- Bravais lattice and Point Groups.
- How to construct the plan view of a 2×2 unit cell.
- A. Putnis, Introduction to Mineral Sciences, Cambridge University Press, 1992
- Feynman, Leighton, Sands, Lectures on Physics Vol. II, Chapter 30, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1964 [Note: This book follows a different convention when referring to body-centred and face-centred structures]
- C. Hammond, The Basics of Crystallography and Crystallography, III Ed, Oxford University Press, 2009
- B.D Cullity, S.R Stock, Elements of X-Ray Diffraction, Prentice Hall, 2001
- McKie, McKie, Essentials of Crystallography, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1986
Website of International Tables for Crystallography http://it.iucr.org/A/