The Linux philosophy, Legos and the RPi
There are nine major tenets to the Linux philosophy.
- Small is Beautiful
- Each Program Does One Thing Well
- Prototype as Soon as Possible
- Choose Portability Over Efficiency
- Store Data in Flat Text Files
- Use Software Leverage
- Use Shell Scripts to Increase Leverage and Portability
- Avoid Captive User Interfaces
- Make Every Program a Filter
The Lego analogy
Each Lego piece by itself is relatively simple. Bringing the pieces together in the right combination produces a synergism with unique results.
The Linux tools are like Legos. Each utility does one simple thing, and does it well. The synergism of these combined tools can produce very powerful results in terms of functionality.