On completion of this TLP package, you should:
- Understand the stress distribution within beams subject to bending or torsion.
- Be familiar with the concepts of the radius of curvature of a section of a beam (and its reciprocal, the curvature), second moment of area, polar moment of inertia, beam stiffness and torsional stiffness.
- Be able to calculate the moments acting in a beam subject to bending or torsion.
- Be able to calculate the deflections of a beam on bending and the angle of twist of a bar under torsion.
- Be able to predict the effect of plastic deformation, at least with simple beam geometry.