Software and hardware cannot function without each other. Without software, hardware is useless. Without hardware, the software has no hardware to run on. This chapter discusses the types of software, their purpose, and how they support different hardware devices, individuals, groups, and organizations.
Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define the term software;
- Describe the two primary categories of software;
- Describe the role ERP software plays in an organization;
- Describe the process to write a computer program;
- Describe cloud computing and its advantages and disadvantages for use in an organization;
- Define the term open-source and identify its primary characteristics; and
- Determine what operating system you have;
- Learn to manage files.