ICAO establishes the criteria (some are rules, other recommendations) to design, manufacture, and install the instruments. Some of these recommendations are:
- All instruments should be located in a way that can be read clearly and easily by the pilot (or the corresponding member of the crew).
- The illumination should be enough to be able to read without disturbance nor reflection at dark.
- The flight instruments, navigation instruments, and engines instruments to be used by the pilot must be located in front of his/her view.
- All flight instruments must be grouped together in the instrument panel.
- All engine instruments should be conveniently grouped to be readable by the appropriate member of the crew.
- The multiengine aircraft must have identical instruments for each engine, and be located in a way that avoids any possible confusion.
- The instruments should be installed so that are subject to minimal vibrations.